Sunday, October 26, 2008

He remembers Canada!

I thought I would try a postal experiment and send a small package to Colin to see how long it would take to arrive. That way we'll have a good idea of how soon to send the Christmas parcel. I asked him what he'd like me to send...2 books he'd left behind and peanut butter...a commodity apparently not available in Japan. This morning the request for hot sauce and a recipe of mine came...he'd like to make chili. All that ramen must be getting old by now! But, can you buy canned kidney beans in Japan? I was very surprised to hear that he hasn't eaten any sushi yet...maybe not as common as we would believe!

It's now officially a month since Colin left and the verdict is that his experience so far rates an 11.5 out of 10. I smiled when I read that as it was exactly what I thought he'd say! He's having fun, studying hard, meeting a lot of people and speaking mostly Japanese. He's well settled and loving it! That's all a mother wants to hear!

Thanks to msn messenger we usually speak twice a day. It's still a struggle to get a full description out of him, but I'm slowly learning more about his daily life and potential romantic conquests. I'm no longer getting teary at the thought of him so I'm adjusting too.

As it gets colder here I'm reminded (and a little jealous) that his climate is so much warmer than ours. It is apparently similar to San Diego's temperatures. As we get out our winter coats, he's wearing shorts and biking everywhere. My ice scraper is now in my car. Worlds apart, but it feels close thanks to technology. I found our webcam in his closet the other day. Now if I can find the other one in the girl's room perhaps we can see him too! That would be perfect!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Potential romantic conquests? Whats that suppsoe dot mean...lol

I didnt know that he was wearing shorts! wow!

Anonymous said...

Loneliness does not seem to be an issue for Colin. If anything, does he crave some quiet and alone time? He seems to be surrounded by "chatter" all the time.

Having daily "real time" contact is great! Lucky you.

Does it feel like he is on a very long extended vacation, or "school trip"!?

Anonymous said...

Yah, I think Sushi is a fancy meal same as here. It's not really an everyday thing.

I didn't know that until a couple of years ago ^^;