Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A DAY TO REMEMBER

We spoke to Colin for the first time since he left on Sept. 24th. Of course I instantly burst into tears when I heard his voice and he thought I was dumb. Colin asked me to google skype and then we simultaneously downloaded it and spoke for about an hour. Sooo good to hear his voice...a little like being in a cave, but quite clear. It was so much easier getting some answers verbally rather than writing them on msn. Once again I herald technology!

The parcel was mailed on the 30th of Oct. and he received it last Saturday so just over 8 days at a cost of $142 express post! It was a 6+ kg. package in a fairly big box. We'll try to make the next one smaller. The peanut butter cups were a big hit with his friends and there has been a request for more. It will have to be mailed this week before our 2 week trip to the Dominican because the next one is going surface, which the post office says takes 6 weeks. He doesn't seem to want much so we'll send mostly Christmas treats that would be hard if not impossible to find in Japan. Of course we'd be thrilled to receive a parcel back with some Japanese goodies of some sort.

I feel completely at peace with his being in another country. I know he's doing well and really enjoying it. He has a huge circle of friends there and loves his independence. That doesn't stop me from looking to see if there have been earthquakes in Japan every time I go on a news website though! I worry about his safety constantly so the frequent contact thru msn and now skype is reassuring to a dumb mother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yummy peanut butter cups! I bet they don't have much of things like that in Japan.